Thoroughbred Horse Breeding
The TB Breeding Division is a self-contained unit within the Janadria Farm Complex where approx 100 foals are born and reared every year. The broodmare band has been significantly improved over the past ten years while the farm’s stallions included, Dynever (USA), Torrey Canyon (USA), Freequent (GB), Pluto (USA), Blue Burner (USA), Official Flame (USA), Voleris (FR) & Premium Tap (USA).
As there is no natural grazing all horses zero grazed in sand paddocks and fed a balanced diet of locally grown alfalfa, concentrates & micronutrients. Another challenge is the climate as peak summer temperatures reach 50C while winter temperatures can be as low as -4C.
The facilities on the stud farm are excellent by any standard and include;
- A fully equipped Veterinary Hospital
- 125 post and rail sand paddocks, all with sun shelters, laid out over 200 acres
- A self-contained Stallion Unit
- Foaling Unit
- Pre-training facility, which includes stabling for 100 horses, 1800m training track, lunge rings, mechanical walkers etc.
- Extensive staff accommodation
The mares are bred in the Spring and every effort is made to ensure that the foaling is completed by the end of April, as the high May temperatures can be very severe on newborn foals.
All of the mare’s offspring remain on the farm until they are two years old at which time they are moved to the training centre at King A’Aziz racetrack – 1km away.